Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Morgue / Final Grades / Eric Update

Okay, so none of these things really have anything to do with each other... But because it seems that Mom checks the blog and that she will probably be in contact no other way, I figured a little update from the Steve side of the world.

So, first of all... I started my volunteering in the ICU of Scripps Memorial Hospital on Wednesday. I basically do whatever anyone needs me to do, and while I'm there I'm around the ICU and can watch whatever procedures and stuff that I want to. I spent a good half hour just watching the nurses take care of a man who was just released from an aortic valve replacement, and one of the head nurses, Abby, was explaining everything that was going on to me. She was great!

Okay, but... The first thing that someone said to me after I check in and pick up m pager: "Could you help take a dead body down to the morgue?" Death is a pretty rare occurrence, so it was very random that this would be my first task. I helped two nurses wheel the body down to the morgue. The morgue is just a little place, but yeah... My first half hour in the ICU consisted of moving a dead body. Interesting.

So, that's the end of the morgue episode.

Final Grades: A in Biomechanics, A in Engineering Experimentation Techniques, and A- in Biostatistics. Bumps my GPA up to a 3.46, much more competetive for medical school. Still need to nail the MCAT, though.

Now, Mom, on to the Eric update:

Eric shows up on Tuesday afternoon after Grandma and Grandpa get lost. They had forgotten to download California maps to their GPS system. It was kind of funny. So, Eric shows up and hangs out with us on Tuesday. Tuesday night, we go to the beach and hang out and it was a blast. We played frisbee and hunted for crabs and watched the sunset. We tried to start the applause their once it went down, but it seems to remain a Santa Cruz thing to do.

So, Wednesday comes and Jamie wakes up feeling icky. Eric had showered, so it wasn't his smell or anything. So, we get up, Eric and I go swimming for a while, and I leave Eric with Jamie while I go to the hospital for volunteering. Then, later, we go with Grandma and Grandpa to dinner at Black Angus (num... Jamie still has leftovers that she's eating as I write this...)

Then, it was time for Eric to go. We convinced Grandma and Grandpa that it would make sense to stay in San Diego for the night and then head out in the morning so we could have one more night with the E. We tried, but every little Inn and Hotel in San Diego was completely booked. So, they decided to head out to Temecula. Not a fun ending to a short two days. So, I called Dad in shambles trying to figure something out. Long story short, Eric was going to stay with us for a couple more days, and we'd fly him up to Boise and Kevin would drive up to visit him for the week.

So, I drive an hour to pick him up in Temecula the next morning. New problem: Eric cannot do a layover flight as an unaccompanied minor. So, new solution. Send Eric to Kevin's who can have fun with him for a few days then drive him up to Boise. Now, I guess Grandma and Grandpa are flying him up to Boise. The little punk will be on three flights in less than two weeks.

So, update: Eric arrived in SLC airport at 1:30 this afternoon and is now chilling with Kevin and having a blast, as it sounds. He will be there on Thursday, at which time he will fly up to Grandma and Grandpa's and stay there until the next week sometime. Two and a half weeks ends up divided pretty evenly between Steve and Jamie's, Kevin (and Rachel's?), and Grandma and Grandpa's. It feels strange to have everyone all over the place.

To all you foreigners, please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

That's all. Thanks for reading my essay. Love you all.

Steve

1 comment:

the Mom! said...

Thanks So much for the update. I had no idea that Eric was going to be such a traveler. I am glad that he is able to spend so much time with his brothers and Jamie too. I'm glad you all take such good care of each other and enjoy spending so much time together. Sending you all lots of love!!!!